Earth Science Week
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and trends associated with the highly contagious Delta variant, on-site activities for Earth Science Week 2021 at the UGS are canceled.
Activities at the Utah Geological Survey
The Utah Geological Survey hosts free, hands-on activities for school groups (usually 4th graders) to celebrate Earth Science Week during October.
Groups are scheduled for 2-hour sessions. Each group is split into subgroups and rotated through five hands-on activity stations:
- the stream trailer where the students create and destroy a river landscape while learning about deposition and erosion,
- the rock talk where the students study sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks while learning about the rock cycle,
- the paleontology prep lab where the students examine dinosaur and ice age fossils while learning about geologic history,
- the earthquake demonstrations where the students create their own earthquakes while learning about the many seismic hazards, and
- the “gold” panning troughs where the students pan for pyrite, magnetite, and other minerals while learning that geology is fun!
To make reservations, please contact Jim Davis at email@example.com or 801-537-3300.