Data Management Program
The Data Management Program at the Utah Geological Survey (UGS) is responsible for developing technical solutions for the UGS’s flow of data from the field to the public. As the UGS continues to collect and share more data in a digital format, the Data Management Program works with UGS staff to ensure that the data are collected, stored, and delivered in a secure, highly compatible, and efficient manner. Additionally, the Data Management Program manages the UGS website and develops web applications that assist all UGS programs, other government agencies, researchers, teachers, and the general public.
- Develop and update interactive applications and maps online.
- Organize, optimize, backup, and secure the data behind UGS web applications, maps, and websites.
- Maintain the UGS website with up-to-date, scientific, and public-friendly information.
- Assist other UGS programs on grant-funded projects that include web-related deliverables.
- Manage and direct all UGS tabular and GIS datasets, resources, and databases.
- Geologic Map Portal – Interactive geologic map of Utah with unit descriptions and map downloads.
- Utah Geologic Hazards Portal – Interactive map showing the type, location, and relative susceptibility of geologic hazards in Utah.
- Utah Mineral Resources – Interactive map of information on Utah’s metallic and industrial mineral resources. Includes mining district information.
- Utah Wetlands – Interactive map of statewide wetlands resources.
- Utah Core Research Center Inventory – Interactive database of the UCRC’s inventory of geologic samples from Utah.
- Utah FORGE – Interactive map of the Utah Frontier Observatory for Research in Geothermal Energy project.
Data Management Staff
Phone: (801) 803-3898
Marshall Robinson is a Senior Geologist and an IT and Web Manager with the Data Management Program. He graduated with a B.S. in geology in 2007 and joined the UGS in 2010. He enjoys spending his time outdoors with his family.
Phone: (801) 386-2218
Mackenzie is a Geologist and Web Manager with the Data Management Program at the Utah Geological Survey. She graduated with a B.S. degree in geology from Southern Utah University and joined the UGS in August 2018. Along with serving as the webmaster of the UGS website, Mackenzie helps with public inquiries, teaching kits, and outreach events.
Phone: (801) 386-0837
Abby is a Geologist and GIS Analyst with the Data Management Program at the Utah Geological Survey. She graduated with a B.S. and M.S. in geology from Brigham Young University in 2023 where she focused on environmental hazards and dust storms in the western United States. In her free time, Abby enjoys hiking, rock climbing, and building models in ArcGIS Pro.
Phone: (801) 537-3391
Nate Payne is a Data Manager with the Data Management Program at the Utah Geological Survey. He graduated with a B.S. degree in geography from Utah State University and joined the UGS in April 2014. When he is not making maps or analyzing groundwater data, Nate enjoys hiking, fly-fishing, flying drones, and exploring the backcountry of the Intermountain West.
Phone: (435) 590-0344
Lance Weaver is a Geologist and Web Application Developer with the Data Management Program at the Utah Geological Survey. Lance has been keeping geology real at the UGS since 2008. He creates geologic mapping applications, helped create and maintain the UGS website, UGS databases, and GIS resources. He also writes informative articles on Utah’s geology as well as helps with public inquiries and geologic outreach events. He does a bit of geologic tour guiding during his personal time. He is passionate about Utah’s geology and specializes in Southern Utah’s stratigraphy and paleogeography.