Stop 14: Utah Commercial and Savings Bank Building
22 East 100 South
This beautiful structure is one of the earliest banking buildings still preserved in Utah. It was built between 1888 and 1890 by Francis Armstrong, Utah Commercial and Savings Bank founder and Salt Lake City mayor.
The vivid red sandstone facade is Nugget Sandstone, quarried locally in nearby canyons. To provide contrast, the sandstone was dressed in a variety of ways. Smooth, scored, and carved stone (leaf and basketweave designs) complements the rusticated stone.
One of the striking features of this building is the distinctly different window styles on each floor. On the main floor, two large storefront windows with smaller rectangular transoms above flank the main entrance which is topped by a half-round window set within a carved stone arch.
The second floor features a smooth stone arch over the center windows and rusticated stone arches around each of the side paired windows. On the top floor, the center windows are crowned by a carved arch embracing a stone globe while tripled rectangular windows are balanced on either side.
Continue to the corner and cross both 100 South and Main Street to reach the McCornick Building on the northwest corner.
PI-60 Building Stones of Downtown Salt Lake City, A Walking Tour