Jen Miller, UGS Publications Manager
Do you have a passion for GIS with a strong knowledge of cartographic and graphic design principles?
If yes, then an internship with the Utah Geological Survey may be the job for you.
GIS and Cartography Intern
The Editorial Section of the Utah Geological Survey is seeking an intern with up-to-date knowledge and skills in both GIS and Cartography to join our team. The candidate will work closely with a group of talented and highly-motivated designers, cartographers, and geologists to prepare geologic maps, illustrations, and graphs, for publication.
This is a paid internship beginning in August 2020. This position will be part-time (<30 hours per week) with a pay rate of $18.00 per hour and does not include benefits. The internship will be located at the Department of Natural Resources building in Salt Lake City, Utah. You may initially start your internship working remotely due to COVID-19.
- Use cartography and GIS principles to prepare geologic maps for publication
- Prepare illustrations, graphs, and other layouts as needed
- Review and evaluate maps produced by UGS staff for cartographic quality, technical accuracy, visual appeal, and UGS standards
- Produce and review spatial databases, metadata, and other digital cartographic products
Skills and abilities
- Experience using the latest versions of ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGISOnline, ArcGIS Pro, GIS software in a multi-user environment, Global Mapper, and other GIS-related programs
- Strong knowledge of cartography and cartographic standards
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator with strong layout skills
- Ability to quickly adapt to new technologies and keep skills and industry knowledge current
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Attention to detail
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume to Jen Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org).