The Geologic Information & Outreach Program answers questions and provides information on Utah’s geology to the public, educators, industry, and decision makers; produces non-technical flyers and colorful brochures on a variety of geologic topics; provides geologic resources to teachers; and, maintains the Natural Resources Map & Bookstore and the UGS Library.
Natural Resources Map & Bookstore – In addition to being an official outlet for U.S. Geological Survey publications and maps, the Map & Bookstore also carries a variety of maps and books for recreational activities in Utah including hiking, biking, ski touring, off-road vehicle, snowmobile, and fishing.
UGS Library – Maintains numerous reference materials on Utah geology. Available to the public for research by appointment. Located at the Department of Natural Resources, 1594 West North Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah, 801.537.3333.
Teacher Resources – UGS makes available general educational geoscience materials and has contacts of agencies and organizations for local earth-science resources.
Teaching Kits – Kits are available with a refundable deposit. They must be picked up and returned to the UGS office at the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Building at 1594 West North Temple, Suite 3110, Salt Lake City, 801.537.3300.
Earth Science Week – The UGS hosts hands-on activities for school groups to celebrate Earth Science Week during October.
- Public Information Series – Brief topical reports or brochures designed to make nontechnical geologic information available to the general public.
- Glad You Asked – General geologic articles on a variety of subjects, including how to stake a mining claim and what is Utah’s hydrologic cycle.
- GeoSights – Articles on where to see wonderful geologic sites in Utah.
- Teacher’s Corner – Geologic articles written especially for teachers, but interesting to all, including where to see different rock types along the Wasatch Front and activities for students on dome mountains and volcanoes.
- Teacher Resources – UGS makes available general educational geoscience materials and has contacts of agencies and organizations for local earth-science resources.
- Rocks & Minerals
- Dinosaurs & Fossils
- General Geology