The Energy & Minerals Program provides geologic information to government, industry, and individuals to encourage and aid in the prudent development of the state’s mineral and energy resources; operates and manages the Utah Core Research Center; and, inventories, documents, and researches Utah’s abundant mineral and energy resources.
Utah Core Research Center – Provides workshops, tours, loans of geologic samples, core slabbing, and facilities to examine geologic cuttings and core, type oils, coal, and selected surface and underground hand samples from Utah. Can view online catalog.
Industry Outreach Program – Maintain contact and exchange information with mining and petroleum operators, promote exploration and development opportunites, and respond to technical industry inquiries.
Economic-Resource Evaluations – Investigate the economic resources of counties, sovereign land tracts, and school trust lands for county governments and state agencies.
Industry Co-operatives – Oversee joint cooperative research with industry. Projects include reservoir characterization evaluations to improve oil recovery in the Uinta and Paradox basins with applications nationwide.
Energy and Mineral Resources Information
Energy & Minerals Program Projects
Provides geologic information to aid in the prudent development of the state’s mineral and energy resources.
- assessing mineral resources on School and Trust Lands Administration properties,
- calculating coal resources available for future mining in central Utah coalfields,
- characterizing oil and gas reservoirs in the Uinta Basin,
- modeling reservoirs to enhance oil production in the Paradox Basin,
- investigating gilsonite resources of Utah,
- preparing an oil-play portfolio for Utah’s major oil producing regions,
- assessing saline resources of Sevier and Great Salt Lakes,
- assessing geothermal resources of Utah,
- modeling natural CO2 reservoirs in the Colorado Plateau region as analogues for reservoirs to store CO2 emissions,
- assessing geographic variation of coal elements for environmental impacts of coal combustion.