Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the UGS
The Utah Geological Survey (UGS) believes that diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are cornerstones of institutional, scientific, and creative excellence and are inextricably linked with our mission, vision, and values. We acknowledge a lack of diversity and representation in the geosciences. We actively promote DEI as essential to a thriving work environment and greater community. We advocate for policies that promote DEI in our workplace and encourage the unbiased treatment of all individuals for the sake of their personal and intellectual liberty. We embrace the Utah Antidiscrimination Act and align with the Utah Compact on Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
In 2020, we established a formal UGS DEI Committee—a self-organized and administration-supported committee of UGS staff that spans scientific disciplines. The committee is dedicated to stewardship of DEI ideas and issues within the organization and advocates for policies that promote diversity and inclusion in our workforce and in interactions with the people we serve.
The primary goals and actions of the UGS DEI Committee are to:
- provide allyship and support to UGS staff and the public we serve,
- recognize socioeconomic drivers in the gathering and dissemination of scientific information and improve service to diverse and underrepresented communities,
- serve as a resource to UGS administration and staff to speak openly about DEI concerns and questions,
- organize employee seminars and development opportunities in DEI topics and lead a DEI presence at staff meetings,
- evaluate the criteria and processes for advertising open job positions to attract and retain diverse applicants,
- examine UGS hiring practices and educate and encourage discussion for recruiters on the many forms of bias, and
- compile DEI educational materials, contact lists, and activities for UGS administration and staff.